Monday, May 25, 2009

JustFaith is JustCrap

So I'm supposed to be looking over the JustFaith program as part of my job. I hadn't heard of it, but I ask a buddy of mine if he had. He had. So I ask him for the book list and the videos and all the stuff that comes with the program, because JustFaith only gives that stuff to you piecemeal. I would have to wait until the end of the program to know all the stuff it uses. Anyway, I'm going over the stuff that JustFaith has you read and watch, and - holy mounds of crapola, batman - JustFaith is a mess.

There are some good, nay...there are some great parts of the program. Some of the videos are spectacular. A couple of the books I would recommend to friends and enemies alike. But most of the books and one of the videos range from muddy-thinking-bad to heresy-incorporated-bad.

Examples?

Take the video "Portrait of a Radical." This dude Richard Rohr - google him for a moment and you'll come up with all sorts of wonderful things - basically denies the divinity of Christ. Oh, and by "basically deny" I mean he says, "Jesus did not go around calling himself God. But it did not take us long before we made him into a God figure." Ahhhh. Or take this book by Walter Wink The Powers That Be. At one point Wink tries with all his might to avoid pantheism by saying that he believes in panentheism. Distinction? All the world is not god, but god is in all the world. We cannot say that any one thing is not part of god. Ahhhh.

If you are at a parish somewhere, and you are considering using JustFaith...just pass on it. Pass right on by.

I could give a myriad of examples, but it's late and I don't feel like it. Honestly, though; craptaculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment